Friday, August 04, 2006

Still settling in.


RockYou slideshow | View | Add Favorite

The rain stopped and the sun came out and wouldn’t you know it, it is hot and muggy. Not so hot like Oklahoma in the summer with temps over a hundred but the lifestyle is different here so it might even be a little worse. It is also almost a hundred percent humidity and makes for me to feel sticky all the time.

In America, I had an air-conditioned house, car, school, workplace, ect… That was just the way it was. Here people have air conditioners but they don’t use them so much. I literally walk everywhere and so I am constantly enduring the elements.

Luckily, I have an air-conditioner in my house now. Well, theoretically I have two but one doesn’t work and one does so I really have one. That is not the only trippy thing about my house. First of all, for those who don’t know, I live in an office building. Kind of crazy in a way. I am walking down the hallway to run an errand in shorts and a t-shirt and Korean businessmen are passing me in suits. Oh well. Like I also mentioned the building itself is not air-conditioned so the hallways and especially the elevator are really hot to be in. Almost every time I get in the elevator it is scorching hot and I hope that this time will not be the time it breaks down.

Otherwise the house is turning out okay. I have been making myself more comfortable in it, picking up things here and there to make life a little easier. I wish I had a couch or something in my place for friends to sit on (if I get any) when they come over. The house was a bit rough to begin with, especially before my luggage and stuff arrived. It was made worse by the fact I had no hot water or air but like I said I have air now and even an instant hot water heater in the bathroom just in case the hot water ever goes off again. I have got a cell phone, which even though I haven’t used it much, makes me feel good because I feel like I am at least partially connected to the world. Also, I am supposed to get internet soon. I was supposed to get it today but it is not going to happen. After it happens I won’t have to be standing at my window with my computer on a trash can trying to tune into and piggy back on my neighbor’s internet signal that may or may not be there.

I have met some Americans in my building though and they seem pretty nice so it is not as lonely. It is hard be a loner in a strange city but hopefully that will all be over soon.

Other than that I don’t really have a lot of crazy stories. My life has been mostly about working very long days, coming home and trying to make myself comfortable, and sleeping. The sleeping has actually been pretty important; maybe it is the jet lag.

So my new cell phone has a decent enough camera in it so I have taken some self portraits and put them in a slide show for people to see. These are of walking around the market that is about a 10 minute walk from my house.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

try to smile more when you take your pics. think about all the sepontu, that should bring a smile. or just say kim chi and snap it on the chi part. wish i were there.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home